Friday, August 12, 2011

My atiel eggs just started hatching, is there anything special I should be doing?

I read up a lot on atiel breeding before I put a nest box in with my two atiels, Birdy and Baby. Baby laid 7 eggs (which is a lot from what I've read) and they just started hatching. I can hear the cute little peeps coming from their box. I have them in a large cage and I covered it with a sheet so they feel more secure. I've been giving them regular atiel food, millet (their favorite), a supplement for nesting birds that Kaytee makes, Cheerios (a treat they've always enjoyed) and put cuttlebones in there for extra calcium. I tried putting different veggies in there like most books suggested but they don't eat them. Is there anything else that I should be feeding them? I also put a bird bath in there for humidity which I read was important. I think the best thing I can do is NOT TO DISTURB THEM while the eggs are hatching. I don't want them to get nervous and accidentally injure a baby or break an egg. Am I right? Should I remove egg shells and other waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment